Behind the cut: reviews of Ginny the Reaper, The Floating Market, Ice, Enterprise of the Night, Yurei, Sin.
( 6 scents )
( descriptions ahoy )
Also, I am completely and utterly insane and am leveling a tank, as a tank. Except I don't know how to tank.
Well, I do in a general sense: keep the attention of enemies, make sure heal/dps don't get beaten up. But I am not very good with specifics.
( Read more... )
unfitforsociety has been updated for July 2014 with 40 recs in 5 fandoms:
* 33 Avengers
* 3 DCU (2 Arrow, 1 TDKR)
* 1 Rivers of London, 1 Young Avengers
* 1 Middleman, and 1 Middleman/Captain America crossover
Ugh, I finally decided on a title for this story but now I can't figure out how to get from the pining to the kissing. Everything I write is terrible and has to be deleted! Why did I choose this stupid hobby, anyway? Maybe I'll just go to bed.
2. The reason I haven't posted anything substantial here since con.txt is... *drumroll* .... I am feeling guilty about not doing the con-txt followup I said I should do. So if there's something I told you I would do at/after con-txt and I haven't done it yet, pls poke me again? Either I've forgotten or I've been marinating in procrastinator's guilt and need somebody to kick me in the reset button.
3. So I finally watched Pacific Rim! It came in at the library, and people were still excited about it at con-txt, and also I acquired this DVD projector I wanted to test, so we watched it projected on a sheet taped up to the screen porch, because that seems like the right way to watch a movie like that. (Then I watched it on my laptop so I could actually catch the details. Like Raleigh's drivesuit scars that there is NO FANFIC AT ALL ABOUT, wtf fandom.)
Anyway not going to bother with a spoiler cut since it's a year old and I'm not discussing plots, but here are my thoughts:
Both the worldbuilding and the plot are 100% incoherent, the giant monster fights were okay but I kept getting distracted from the awesome by trying and failing to make them make sense, they really really really dropped the ball on diversity otherwise even though Idris Elba is amazing and Mako is also amazing, but don't let anyone tell you her story was groundbreaking, it's pretty standard and it's mostly about the men in her life.
This will probably remain a favorite of mine, because it is approx. 0% heterosexuality by weight. And that doesn't mean it's particularly queer either - there's just no portrayal of sexuality in it at all. This is a movie where you can easily argue that not only all the protagonists, but also the entire society, is asexual and aromantic.
And for a movie that is almost entirely about close, intense relationships, that's astonishing - but all the relationships, from Newt and Hermann's working partnership, to the various family relationships, to Mako and Raleigh's adorable bffs-at-first-sight, this is a movie that glorifies the nonromantic and nonsexual to the extent that it seems to forget that romantic and sexual exist. Other than one line in a flashback where a tertiary character casually mentions a semi-successful date, there's nothing - no offhand attempts to establish the heroes' het cred, no background advertisements selling sex, no casual references to attractiveness, not even any mentions of, like, people having parents who were a couple, that I can recall. (Even the Kaidonovskys, iirc, aren't mentioned as a couple in the movie canon, and don't interact in any blatantly romantic ways - taking the movie as a standalone, they could be, you know, cousins.)
And that was - it was so restful, you can't even imagine. Finally a movie that felt like home, it was so great.
..so then I went back to the fanfic and of course it's like 90% shipping by weight. I know I almost always end up dissatisfied with the shippy fic once I watch canon, but in this case it left me ... itchy, probably because of the way the canon just felt so comfortable in its total lack of shipping and sexuality.
So I read some of the Newt/Hermann fic I'd been saving until I saw the movie, and it still did what Newt/Hermann fandom does so well - body mods, soulbonding, relationships with long histories, social maladjustment, disability, extremely smart people who like showing off, competence porn, snark hiding affection, xenophilia, unconventional domesticity, weird telepathy stuff, people two feet beyond the end of their rope who can't even remember how to fall, etc. -- all things I like in a pairing, and it left me deeply unsatisfied.
So then I checked out the novelization because I'd heard it was good and it seemed like it might be what I wanted in terms of More Of Canon, but I still get too antsy to have gotten very far, because something in me knows exactly what I wanted out of Pac Rim fandom, and that's not it.
So finally I sat down and asked myself, okay, what is it you do want out of this fandom that you're not getting?
I want some fanfic that's novel-length, about the doomed, hotshot pilots who risk their lives fighting to protect the defenseless, in the last days of the Resistance, with an aesthetic of abandoned WWII bunker + neon and tattoos + sweeping vistas + SF technology taken for granted, in a war where the stakes are so high that entire planetary ecologies are just minor collateral damage, and a society's been torn apart so long that nobody hasn't lost something, heart and home. With a cast that's blatantly, in-your-face diverse on a bunch of axes, dealing with disabilities and scars both mental and physical and loss after loss of loved ones, but resilient and idealistic despite that, drinking their pain away in makeshift dive bars deep in massive, hastily-assembled military installations. Most of the important relationships aren't romantic, and there's lots of stuff with organized crime intersecting the resistance, plus aliens and robots and maybe some poorly explained psi powers.
..and then I went "oh crap, I know what that is" and started re-reading the X-Wing novels instead.
So there's that.
I did start a Newt/Hermann fic where one of the side effects of Drifting is that you are no longer neurologically capable of finding your Drift partner sexually attractive - because that's the other thing that I *definitely* wanted out of this fandom - but even odds now if I'll finish that before I finish the one about Master Pentecost and his motley band of Jedi Pilot trainees and washouts, one last holdout on the Planet of the Kaiju in the decades after the clone wars, and how former Knight Beckett showed Mako Mori the way to her Jedi trials.
(The X-Wing novels hold up surprisingly well, better than I feared! I'm noticing some of the really awful stuff with how the universe handles aliens-as-metaphor-for-race more now that I did fifteen years ago, but the X-Wing novels try really hard to give you real diversity anyway, even if you do know that one of the nonhuman female pilots is always going to die first.)
- Master Fic List (Various characters and ratings) by dragonyphoenix
- Party All the Time (Ensemble, PG) by evil-little-dog
- Whether there will be more winters (Buffy/Spike, PG13) by quinara
- Haute Cuisine (Buffy/Faith, R) by brutti_ma_buoni
- Love's Bitch (Spike/Buffy, PG13) by okdeanna
- (She's) Number Than Gold (Faith/Lilah, PG13) by clockwork_hart1
- Smoke and Mirrors (Giles, Xander, PG) by sparrow2000
- The Best is Yet to Come (Buffy/Spike, PG13) by quinara
- Pink (Faith/Anne, PG13) by slashmarks
- Lost and Found (Xander, Giles, PG) by horrorfangirl
- Office Party (Ensemble, R) by beer-good-foamy
- Best Laid Plans (Angel/Cordelia, Xander, unrated) by beforethecalm
- Two Squared (Spike/Xander, R) by rngrdead
- Stay With Me (Spike/Angel, NC17) by SilverMidnight
- As You Wish (Buffy/Giles, R) by angelus2hot
- Nostalgic (Buffy/Giles, G) by angelus2hot
- After the Fact (Willow, Buffy, G) by NLRummi
- Subtleties (Spike/Xander, NC17) by Anna S (eliade)
- Day Twelve (Dawn, G, Kingdom Hearts xover) by Lisse
- Be my Valentine (Spike/Xander, PG13) by Novaline
- Eyes Wide Open (Buffy/Giles, PG13) by craterdweller
- After Hours (Buffy/Spike, NC17) by birdie7272
- Road to Discovery (Buffy/Spike, NC17) by seductivembrace
- Dawn at Thirty (Dawn, G) by psocoptera
- Past Indiscretions (Ethan/Giles, NC17) by seductivembrace
- The Quintessence of Love (Buffy/Spike, PG13) by seductivembrace
- The Benefits of Cursed Beer (Buffy/Giles, NC17) by craterdweller
- The Breaking Dawn (Buffy/Angel, PG13) by Walutahanga
- Looking Hard (Buffy/Willow, NC17) by Erimthar
- I'll be seeing you (Buffy/Angel, G) by Kikimay
- the conservation of energy (Dawn, G) by butiamhome
- Dawn Summers and the Popular Children's Series (Dawn, G) by butiamhome
- Working late (Angel/Lindsey, NC17) by killerweasel
- Just a taste (Angel/Lindsey, NC17) by killerweasel
- Sound of your voice (Angel/Lindsey, NC17) by killerweasel
[Chaptered Fiction Updates]
- Blindfold 6/? (Willow/Angel, PG13) by velvetwhip
- Into the Abyss, 1/? (Giles, PG) by aadler
- Shattered Remains (chapter 12/?) (Spike/Willow, NC17) by xspike4evax
- How to be Good or Evil, Chapter 5b (Buffy/SPike, PG13) by thedeadlyhook
- Geometry of Chance (6/7) (Giles, Ethan Rayne, Willow,PG13) by sharelle
- The Queen - Chapter Thirty-five (Buffy/Spike, R) by kikimay
- Bruises 2/2 (Willow/Spike, Willow/Tara, NC17) by pickamix
- Chapter Five and Chapter Six of A Little B&E (Spike/Xander, PG13) by dustandroses
- The Bronze Box (Part 1 of 3) (Willow, Tomb Raider/Xena xover, NC-17) by erimthar
- Bittersweets parts 1-17 by Herself_nyc
- Then There Were Three 1/? (Spike/Xander/Willow, R) by rngrdead
- Parchment 1/? (Spike/Xander, R) by rngrdead
- First Aid 1/2 and First Aid 2/2 (Willow/Spike, PG13) by pickamix
- Forbidden Fruit!verse Parts 1-4 (Buffy/Spike, NC17) by seductivembrace
- Pretty Little Slayers 1/? (Buffy/Willow, NC17) by MTL17
[Images & Videos]
- AtS manips by pickamix
- BtVS Icons by xclaire_delunex
- Buffyverse and AtSverse icons by dragonydreams
- Giles/Ethan video by Randigiles1
- AtSverse icons by clockwork-hart1
- More Buffyverse art by pickamix
- Characters and questions meme by brutti-ma-buoni
- Cordelia Chase: Character Meme by sunclouds33
- Dark horse Panel at San Diego Comic Con by sueworld2003
- Anyone still there? by scribesds
[Articles, Interviews & Other News]
- Dark Horse Panel at San Diego Comic Con 2014
- Geek God Joss Whedon Faced An Epic Challenge In This Nearly Silent 'Buffy' Episode
- One set, two actors, all dialogue: TV's best 'bottle' episodes
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5 (Comics Review)
- Philly Comic Con – Part 2 Bullying advice from Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer': Where are they now?
- Buffy Season 10 #5 – New Rules
I took yesterday as a rest day after that intense hike, and set out for my run today. For no reason I know of, my lungs decided to kick up a fuss. So I went slowly, taking care not to set off asthma. 3.4 km in 30 minutes.
Well, they always say not to over-analyse bad runs. So, on to the next.
Author: hotlevel4 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 2014-07-29 (Tue, 29 Jul 2014)
(Bug 822) Misspelling in /admin/capedit
Fixes spelling of 'privilege'. Fixes bug #822.
Author: Denise Paolucci <email@example.com>
Date: 2014-07-29 (Tue, 29 Jul 2014)
Merge pull request #866 from hotlevel4/bug822/changeMisspelling
(Bug 822) Misspelling in /admin/capedit - Fixes #822.
Shock. I might even manage that three times in a week.
Characters/Pairing/Other Subject: My Chemical Romance
Content Notes/Warnings: n/a
Medium: Watercolour and ink?
Artist on DW/LJ: n/a
Artist Website/Gallery: silent-warfare
Why this piece is awesome: I love the strong lines and colouring of this work and all the emotion it conveys. That it isn't technically the most skillful doesn't matter.
Link: Fake Your Own Death
I am home sick today with a nasty migraine. It started yesterday afternoon and I suspect it was triggered by the glare of the midday sun along with the need to get new glasses. Unfortunately, I just got glasses in January so no appointment until next January.
My migraine pain has subsided enough that I can function, thanks to ketaprofen. I hate that it's prescription only, but it is the only non-migraine med to actually cut some of the pain that I've found.
Brent and I had a huge fight Sunday. It got some things out into the open that have made things better now that we both know about it. I might calligrapher a sign and stick it to the door or mirror or somewhere prominent that says, 'WE CAN'T READ EACH OTHER'S MIND. TALK TO ME.' It might help some, hah.
We're going to Maryland next week and I'm going to get to meet Brent's family. He met my mother's side of the family two weeks after we started dating and then a week after that, he met my dad's side of the family. We've been together a little under seven years and I've still not met most of his family because they're mostly in Northern Maryland - Hagerstown? So if there's anything interesting on the way from Hattiesburg to Hagerstown, someone please let me know!
( pecuniary discussions ) Still. We'll work something out.