i deliberately held off upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7 and above because 10.7 broke all of the old Cocoa apps and i had a ton of them still. including my beloved AIM client i'd been dragging my feet on moving off of because it was exactly what i wanted in an AIM client and nothing else i've used works the same. :( (no suggestions, please. i've tried every single available replacement. they all suck. i've got one that sucks slightly less than the others that i've been using for google talk, but i don't have to be happy about it, dammit.) it also broke the tweaks you could use to make the Dock 2D and transparent -- i can make it 2D using the built-in hidden preferences, but the hidden pref to make it transparent was removed in this update and apple also broke every single one of the old hacks you could use to customize it. this is going to take quite a lot of getting used to. (look, i absolutely hate it when my computing environment changes, okay? I HAVE ISSUES.)
it also broke my latin dictionary. you'd be surprised how often i need a latin dictionary. i've found a replacement, but still.
Not having a laptop/PC of my own is a pain, but I still manage to stay connected, though it curbs my desire for long term writing because the touch screen keyboard really isn't all that.
If you follow me on Tumblr, don't expect to see me there until I get a laptop, I hate the mobile apps for the website (they're clunky and don't have saviour, meaning everything I don't want to see... is there to be seen) and I can't really have my dash up here because a bunch of it is not safe for work, making it not safe for parents who may glance in my direction while I'm on the main desktop with it's ginormous wide screen.
Still, I am around and hopefully I'll keep blogging until I head out on my holiday next weekend. Yes, I'm finally off on my two week holiday next Friday! I haven't had a proper holiday in quite a while. All my other long weekends this year were with my family and while I love them, they aren't really all that relaxing come to think of it.
I've been blocked with fic writing for months, hopefully this two week jaunt will help clear my head and give me some new experiences to sublimate.
So, yay for that!
As described by The Guardian’s Alison Flood, Amazon announced yesterday that it had secured licences for the bestselling Gossip Girl series by Cecily von Ziegesar, for Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars and for LJ Smith's Vampire Diaries from Alloy Entertainment. The licences will allow fans to publish authorised stories set in the different fictional universes as ebooks for the Kindle, with royalties paid to both the original author and the fan fictioneer.
According to Christian Science Monitor’s Husna Haq, Kindle Worlds will officially launch in June with more than 50 commissioned works from authors like Barbara Freethy, John Everson, and Colleen Thompson, according to Amazon. Amazon Publishing will set the price for the works, with most priced at $0.99 to $3.99.
( And a whole lot more )
However, as The Guardian’s Mathilda Gregory observed, the royalty offered is a lot less than Amazon's normal cut for other self-published authors who use their own characters. Franchise owners will be getting a chunky cut and authors also won't own the copyright to their ideas. If the owners of the characters you play with produce something similar and earn squillions, you'll apparently have no comeback, it seems.
Telegraph’s Catherine Scott wrote Even for writers who are happy to sign up to these conditions, there remains a major question. If E L James made a fortune from unlicensed fan fiction without having to cede any royalties to the original author, why would anyone voluntarily credit and pay the author if they do not have to? Fan fiction writers may prefer to sell their work independently of Amazon, and simply gamble on the assumption that the original author won’t take legal action.
In the Toronto Star, Malene Arpe wrote Of course, one of the joys of fan fiction is the ability to play with the characters like little literary puppets. But once you step in into Kindle Worlds, there are strict guidelines to be adhered to. MSN was more blunt: But here comes the bad news — the fan fiction cannot include any sexually explicit material. Do they not know what fan fiction is?!
But, according to PC Magazine’s Chandra Steele, when asked if Fifty Shades of Grey would violate the "no pornography" clause, an Amazon spokesperson said, "Fifty Shades of Grey involves consensual sex between adults and does not violate our content guidelines." So how Amazon defines pornography is definitely somewhere outside the "I know it when I see it" dictum.
( More, more )
Finally, though his blog is outside the usual scope of these roundups, several of these articles reference it, so I will too: John Scalzi laid out his initial response to Kindle Worlds in Amazon’s Kindle Worlds: Instant Thoughts.
This brilliantly written fic wraps up all the loose threads left when Stargate: Universe was cancelled - without even looking out of breath :P Excellent character work, crisp prose - you couldn't ask for a better story to record as a podfic, and no SGU fan could ask for a better ending to their show.
Not necessarily an SG fan? This story essentially became its own canon, and believe me the writing alone is worth giving it a listen :)
Chapter 43 - the AI succumbs to panic, shutting down Rush's mind, and Young is left to deal with it on his own.
Chapter 44 - Dale Volker's one-shot chapter. Alone on the night shift in the CI room, Volker is interrupted by a very *very* scary Rush...
Click here to stream Chapter 43 (right-click-save to download)
Click here to stream Chapter 44 (right-click-save to download)
Full Chapter Index on the official elementals website. which is pretty.
MP3 format zip files ~ Chapters 1-20 | Chapters 21-35 | Chapters 36-50 (up to current) (right-click-save)
M4B Audiobook format ~ Chapters 1-20 | Chapters 21-35 | Chapters 36-50 (up to current) (right-click-save)
My father spent his years fighting his size, wishing he was smaller, weaker, less of a giant. He was taught to hate his body, and he was ashamed of the amount of space he took up. But he passed his strength to me, and I won’t squander my inheritance. I will not let myself be diminished.link to complete essay by Tiffany Kell
I am my father’s daughter. I too am a giant, built of strength and flesh. And I am strong enough to carry myself and others, even when they can’t carry themselves.
1. Anna Field rubber boots in navy 2. Joules "Welly Print" in floral 3. Tretorn "Asoho" in green 4-5. Ilse Jacobsen "long rubber boot" in turrquoise & gray
6. Aigle "Malouine" in yellow/white 7-9. Hunter "Original High Gloss" in Violet & Cornflower & Smoke
10-11. Tretorn "Skerry" rubber rain boot in Amparo & Yellow 12. Tretorn "Kelly" in Aqua Sea 13. Hunter Original Adjustable in green
About 6 years ago at isilya's recommendation I made a longer (1.5-2 year?) attempt with the acne.org regimen (gentle face wash and a thick layer of 2% BP followed by optional moisturizing 1-2x day). I knew from high school that BP had made a slight difference, so I made what is for a disorganized person like me a truly colossal effort and did it, even though the whole routine took at LEAST 25 minutes per day. This was long enough to see an improvement, but also to see the maximum amount of help it could offer, which was not enough to be worth it to me, because besides the huge time suck, the procedure was actually pretty uncomfortable and had super annoying side-effects (mainly ruining things with bleach stains from accidentally touching clothes or linens with my face or neck within less than ≈1.5 hrs of the routine).
Then I read online last week that some studies have shown 5% tea tree oil comparable to 5% BP, with fewer side effects2.
I am already familiar with tea tree oil dating from my sojourn at Crunchy Aunt's house in 2003-04. It's an effective, pleasant topical anaesthetic (and antiseptic, although I haven't measured its effect on germs personally). Until last week I had more or less given up on acne products - for a few years I've mostly just applied tiny dabs of mint toothpaste gel3 as an anaesthetic to extra-painful inflamed zits, the ones that sit there throbbing distractingly on the skin, which are the worst part for me.
I figure that since my skin is tough, the worst that can happen is very mild skin irritation and it's far more likely that it just won't help. Even if it's less effective than BP, as long as it does make some difference the lack of bleach-related and thin-layer-of-gel-on-your-face-that-can-l
Oh, I should mention though, on the off chance that anybody has a sensitive nose and is suddenly thinking about tea tree oil - it has a really strong smell in its concentrated forms. Like, tea tree ointment4 or moisturizing mask, or even the facial cleanser, have a definite, rather penetrating, planty-medicinal odor that some people hate and some people like, but it's nothing that's going to knock you back into the wall. You don't have to write home about it. You can get a whiff, form an opinion and then quickly move on. It wouldn't necessarily influence your decision whether to buy a product one way or the other. I am slightly warmer than neutral towards it, without loving it. But if you open a bottle of the 15% solution? WOW. I put it on Wednesday night and then lay in bed awake for half an hour wrinkling my nose. waxjism walked into the bathroom like 20 minutes after me and shouted "WHOAAA!" So, like, don't do that without cautiously sniffing the tester in the store or something first.
- Two of my contemporary cousins with slightly worse cases had several teenaged years of Accutane, the antibiotic that has been the popular Big Guns treatment; ten years later they're pretty much fine. But that has side-effects that make it still pretty hotly debated, so I think I'm still glad that my doctor was more cautious and prescribed a face cream with benzoyl peroxide that didn't actually help significantly.
- Although the medical trials with 5% oil found no significant side effects, I've seen anecdata about severe skin irritation caused by using it in a higher concentration. The Body Shop's oil, which I bought to try out because it was easy to obtain locally and a small, relatively cheap package, contains 15% tea tree oil. I'm planning to dilute it, but in its present form it was not a skin irritant to me, either. On another note, it can be poisonous if ingested in large quantity, and apparently can even cause symptoms when applied topically to animals? Although I have to admit I've put my own tea tree ointment on the cats and formerly on the dog for small cuts, needle trackmarks and rashes respectively without noticing any effect on them, so again, it might need a much larger concentration to do that. My ointment - typical for a healthfood store product - doesn't have any information about the concentration of the active ingredients in it even though it makes antibacterial claims on the packaging.
- Obviously, that doesn't work for like, going out. You can't wear toothpaste on your face under makeup. It's more of a Saturdays and before bed thing. I understand some people quite like drying spot treatments, though. I haven't tried any, but I don't rule out the possibility. If you know any brand names to suggest, they probably won't help me unless you're European because the EU has all kinds of laws that NA doesn't and also different brands of most OTC stuff in any case.
- Or lip balm, which I have owned before, and which I find really bemusing now that I know it's poisonous, because uh, even if lip balm has less than 1% of what you would need to be poisonous, it's not like you NEED it on your mouth, we have plenty of medicated lip balms that are perfectly effective already on the market...
By the time you finish reading this review, I intend to convince you that you have seen a ghost. I believe that in the majority of cases I will be successful.
( quote available behind the cut )
CORDELIA: You can't live in the past. You gotta move on. Let it go. Forget it. Tomorrow is another day. Did I mention letting it go?
CORDELIA: You'll get through this, Doyle. Nice guys don't always finish last.
DOYLE: You think I'm a nice guy?
CORDELIA: I think it, I say it. That is my way.
- Victrola by hello_spikey. Angel/Spike. PG-13.
- Eve of Destruction by Slaymesoftly. Spike/Buffy. T.
- Childe by beetle. Spike/Xander. Mature.
- Promises to Keep (Miles to Go Before…) by bruttimabuoni. Spike, Dawn. PG.
- Fire Extinguisher by velvetwhip. Riley. PG.
- If They Were Going To Hell by kally77. Angel/Spike. Explicit.
- Five by Five by aisalynn. Buffy, Faith. PG.
- From Beginning To End by kally77. Angel/Buffy. Mature.
- Desk Job by spuffy_luvr. Buffy/Spike. G.
[Chaptered Fiction Updates]
- Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know Chapter 138 by darker-fae. Spike/Xander. NC-17.
- All Roads Led to You Chapter 7 by forsaken2003. Spike/Xander. R.
- Divided Destiny Chapter 1 by elisi. Ensemble. Teen
- Pawns of Prophecy Chapter 6 by Comfy-Chair. Teen.
- Starting Over Chapter 13 by sweetprincipale. Spike/Buffy. M.
- Finding Faith Chapter 1 by sweetprincipale. Faith/Wes. M.
- A Little Green Chapter 7 by Dan_Ingram. AtS ensemble. Teen.
- Don't Let Me Go Chapter 17 by Sourmonkey24. Buffy/Spike. Teen.
[Images & videos]
- Challenge #370 at femslash100 is remainder work.
- Flash Challenge at fantas-magoria for Unleashed is You're like a Frankenstein?.
- frenchani lists Ten Buffy things that make me love the show for ever.
- shadowkat67 lists 10 Things About Buffy....
[Articles, Interviews & Other News]
- ONTD interviews Sarah Michelle Gellar On The 10th Anniversary Of 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Series Finale.
- Tor.com rewatch: We’ve got company and they brought a crusade.
- Doux Reviews watches Prophecy Girl.
- LA Magazine lists 10 Reasons Why "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Still Slays.
- Empire reviews Much Ado About Nothing.
Characters/Pairing/Other Subject: Joan Watson and Sherlock Holmes. Sort of.
Content Notes/Warnings: None
Artist on DW/LJ: Unknown
Artist Website/Gallery: kickingshoes
Why this piece is awesome: Because of course Joan would be an elegant, disdainful cat and Sherlock would be an overeager dog wearing a scarf. It's just so apropos.
( Recipe! )
- Friday, 0013: Tumblr favorite: http://gyzym.tumblr.com/post/5118859590
2/the-longest-shadows-ever-cast (from gyzym)
- Friday, 0028: Tumblr favorite: http://tatterdemalionamberite.tumblr.co
m/post/51178013591/temporaldecay-nightin gales-before-we-begin (from tatterdemalionamberite)
- Friday, 0101: My fitbit #Fitstats for 5/23/2013: 1,150 steps and 0.5 miles traveled. http://www.fitbit.com/user/23LLYD
- Friday, 0127: @trixieleitz Hee, snuggling hens are awesome.
- Friday, 0225: @trixieleitz Clingy hens! ( read the other 10 )
Follow me on Twitter.
( a whooooole lotta Tony Stark Meta. Cut for mild IM3 spoilers )
I think it's officially time for bed.